The Chess Variant Pages:
Featured Chess Variants
Every now and then, perhaps once a month, though don't hold us to that, we will feature a Chess variant by including a link to it on the header of all our pages. Each month, nominations will be accepted for Chess variants that meet the following criteria:
- The game should have a history of being played, even if only on Game Courier. Concept games that even the inventor hasn't played will not be accepted.
- It should be playable by online correspondence and with a computer program, generally meaning that it should be programmed for Game Courier and Zillions of Games, but being available on other sites or with other programs will do. Basically, if we're going to draw attention to a game, we should also provide opportunities to play it.
- The page itself should provide a good example of what a CV page should look like, using grammatical English, correct spelling, good organization, clear explanations, and good use of graphics.
To become our featured game of the month, a Chess variant should be nominated and seconded by people other than its inventors, and it should receive editorial approval. As long as no other editors veto the choice, it's enough that some editor take the initiative of featuring it.
List of Featured Variants
- Shogi - January 2011 - February 14, 2011
- Xiangqi - February 14, 2011
- Eurasian Chess - February 18 – 28, 2023
- Cylindrical Chess - March, 2023
- Shako - April, 2023
- Wildebeest Chess - May, 2023
- Gross Chess - June, 2023
Recognized Variants of the Month
Between 2001 and 2006, we frequently featured recognized variants of the month. Since that tradition is now being relaced with this new one, the recognized variants of the month are being listed here:
Written by Fergus Duniho
Page Created: January 03, 2011