Check out Gross Chess, our featured variant for June, 2023.
Games using the Same Board
- 10x10 Multiple Knot Chess. Board in `mathematical shape'.
- 3D Chess, a Different Way of Looking at It. A scheme for a geometric translation of 2d piece moves into 3d.
- 3d offset chess. Chess variants, invented by Ralph Betza, on non-cubic three dimensional boards.
- 8x8 Heart Chess. Chessboard in form of heart.
- 8x8 Hyperbolic Chess. Mathematician Missoum has a board based on hyperbola.
- 8x8 Reversible Stairs-Chess. Chessboard looks like stairs.
- Ackanomic Party Chess. Multiplayer chess inside a `Nomic' game.
- Ackanomic PartyChess. Multiplayer chess inside a `Nomic' game.
- Additional rules for multiplayer chess variants. Additional rules for chess variants with more players.
- Aftershock. Missing description
- Alice's Army. Alice's Army.
- The All Around Allstars. A set of chess pieces with different movement, that can be matched against `The Fabulous FIDEs'.
- The Amazon Army. One player has an Amazon (a queen with knights move) and handicapped rooks.
- An Introduction to Lotus-39 Chess. Missing description
- Andromi. Game with simple rules.
- Anti-Relay Chess. Anti-relay is when a piece loses a movement capability it normally does have due to its position relative to another piece.
- Arena Chess. 32-turn variant in which pieces must initially move into a special area, and then always make capturing moves.
- Attending Pawns. Pieces have their personal pawn assistent.
- Axis and Allies Chess. Diceless variant of Axis and Allies.
- Behemoth Chess. Chess with a randomly moving, uncapturable Behemoth piece that can capture
multiple pieces in a turn.
- Betza's Flying Circus. Bombers and interceptors fly above the chess board.
- Betza's Three Dimensional Chess Games. Several 3d-chess variants by Ralph Betza.
- Bid Chess. Players bid for special pieces or powers.
- Bifold Halfgi. A variant of Halfgi, but with half-sized pieces.
- Bilateral Group Simultaneous Chess. Simultaneous chess, but with two groups of rotating players.
- The Bishop Adjustment Rule. Missing description
- Bishops Conversion Rule. Rule for variant where bishops start on equal colored squares, with sample games.
- Bombalot. Bombs can wipe out most pieces on the board.
- Buypoint Chess. Buy your fighting force - each piece costs a number of points.
- Captain Spalding Chess. Find an Elephant in your Pajamas.
- Catastrophic 8x8 Chess. Mathematician Missoum gives a new type of chessboard.
- Cavewars CSIPGS Chess. Three dimensional chess variant based on Cavewars game.
- Cetina Random Chess. Play with a sissa and a chancellor from a randomly generated setup.
- Chameleon Chess. On each turn the rank of the moved piece changes.
- Chance Chess Site. Web site.
- Cheops. Large 3d chess variant inspired by Dune novels.
- Chess And Physics. Taken pieces leave energy on the board that can be transformed into `mass': pieces.
- Chess Cards. Cardgame with chess flavor.
- Chess Chaos. Announcement of pack of cards that affect chess.
- Chess Equalizer dice. Dice with chess symbols.
- Chess For Any Number of Players. Rules for multiplayer chess that can be played with an arbitrary number of players.
- Chess from Draughts etc.. Missing description
- Chess on a Mass Transit System. Missing description
- Chess Pool. Game played on a pool table, inspired by chess.
- A Chess Set. being a Handful of Games.
- Chess Warriors . Customizable strategy war game played on a checkerboard.
- Chess with Cyclical Armies. Whenever a piece moves, it changes to another type of piece of vaguely similar value.
- Chess with Different Armies. Betza's classic variant where white and black play with different sets of pieces. (Recognized!)
- A Chess-like Variant Construction Set. Build your own army and territory.
- ChessMage (tm): A Living Fantasy Chessworld. A Living Fantasy Chessworld.
- Chessmen-At-Arms. A wargame with chess pieces.
- Chessmic. Commercial, expensive, three-dimensional chess from Germany.
- Chex. Cards with pieces form the board.
- Chexs. Chess for two to six persons on hexagonal board.
- Clairvoyant Chess. Players predict what opponent will do to gain advantages.
- The Colorbound Clobberers. A team for Chess with Different Armies with many colorbound pieces.
- Complex Allegiance Chess (6 player). Missing description
- Condi Chess. Speed chess with the clock twelve meters from the board.
- Connect Shoot Kill. A mix of dots and boxes with chess pieces.
- Construction Chess. The idea for this variant is to give each player the possibility to construct his own chess army.
- Continuous Chess. There are no 'squares' on the board, and pieces are not restricted to moving discrete distances.
- Courier Elephant. Missing description
- Cows and Butterflies. A simple Chess-like game of exchanges and promotions.
- Crazy 38's: Drops. Missing description
- Crazy 38's: Gameplay. Missing description
- Crazy 38's: Notation. Missing description
- Crazy 38's: The Board. Missing description
- Crazy 38's: The Home Square. Missing description
- Crazy 38's: The Object of the Game. Missing description
- Crazy 38's: The Pieces. Missing description
- Crazy 38's: The Starting Setup. Missing description
- Critique of a Chess-like Variant Construction Set. Critique.
- The Crown of Krithala. Pieces move a crown which the opponent wants to capture.
- CSIPGS (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic) Chess Variants. Variants on csipgs Chess and a handy overview of its rules.
- Cuarenta. Played only of the light-colored squares of a 9 by 9 board.
- The Cylindrical Cinders. Army for Chess with Different Armies where many of the pieces can move as if the board was a cylinder.
- Darts chess. Darts are thrown to decide with which piece to move.
- Demotion Chessgi. a Chessgi variant which is limited to 32 turns by demotions and the removal of Pawns.
- Destiny Chess. Each turn before you move, flip a coin to see if you switch pieces with your opponent.
- Dienbienphu Chess. Unequal armies chess variant: FIDE chess against Quang Trung Chess.
- Diplomacy chess. Simultaneously selected moves are only carried out when they do not conflict.
- Dual Direction Variants. Adding extra moves to pieces in historic forms of Chess.
- Duggan's Fantasy Chess Variant. A variant which makes the game more `playable`.
- Dunsany's Chess. 32 pawns play against a full set of pieces.
- Dynamic Chess. Pieces move like closest piece left on the same rank.
- Echexs. Hexagonal variant for three or six players.
- Eight Stone Chess Photographs. Additional photo's of set of Eight Stone Chess.
- Elevator Chess. Multiple boards with simultaneous games are linked through central elevator squares.
- Endless Chess idea. Article about different ways to make cylinder chess board.
- Enthralling Chess. A 32-turn variant in which pieces are 'enthralled', and then 'liberated' (ie. removed from the board).
- Evo. Game with chess-variant elements.
- Experiments in Symmetry. Several experimental games to test whether perfect symmetry makes a game better.
- The Fair First Move Rule in Chess. Every turn you flip a coin to see who goes first.
- The FIDE Laws Of Chess. The official rules of Chess from the World Chess Federation.
- FIDE-like rules for 3D Chess . (Link.).
- The Fighting Fizzies. An Experimental Army for Chess with Different Armies.
- Finding ways to spin your games. After having moved, pieces change type in rotating order.
- Fortress of the Witch. Missing description
- The Forward FIDEs. A team for Chess with Different Armies where pieces can advancer easier than retreat.
- Four Handed Chess. An all fight all variant of four handed chess on plus-shaped board.
- Four Handed Chess (I). Information on different variants of four handed chess on plus-shaped board.
- Four Handed Perspective Chess. Missing description
- Fun-in-a-Box Chess. Featuring Thing One and Thing Two from The Cat in the Hat.
- Fusion Chessgi. A hybrid of Fusion Chess and Chessgi.
- Gambler's Chess. A scheme for adding betting to any Chess variant.
- Generic Chess Piece Creation System. This is a system for construction of pieces, using ideas from
- Genetess. A play-by-email game with genetically encoded pieces.
- Geometric sequence of Chess Games. Chess variants as large as you want.
- Gods on Pluto. Missing description
- Grasshopper Chess. Each player has eight additional grasshoppers.
- Greg White's Chess Variants . Missing description
- Gridlock Chapter 2. Missing description
- Gridlock Chapter 3. Missing description
- Gridlock Chapter 4. Missing description
- Gridlock Chapter 5. Missing description
- Heraldic chess. Chess with cards and dice.
- Heraldic Chess Games with Cards and Dice. Text of rule booklet of heraldic chess.
- Hex Shogi. A new family of hexagonal Shogi variants.
- Hexagonal chess - problem 4. Mate in two moves hexagonal chess problem.
- Historic chess variants . by Sam Trenholme.
- Historical Chess Variants . Part of a document describing various Historical Chess Variants.
- Icehouse . Set of pyramids you can play several games with, including Martian chess.
- Imitating Chess. Pieces move as the last moved piece.
- Inertia Chess. Pieces continue to move in the same direction.
- Infinite Board Chess. Imagine the board is an infinite grid.
- Infinite Chess. Chess on on infinite board.
- Information on Chinese Chess playing cards. Missing description
- Information on historic chess variants. Missing description
- Insane. Pieces change to random type when they move. With program playing this variant.
- Intrigue. Players each select a pawn which holds the king's secret position.
- Introducing Economy in CV's?. Several chess variants based on economic principles.
- Jewel: A Linked-series of Games. Missing description
- John Savard's Three-Dimensional Chess. Missing description
- The Jovan Army. An army for Chess with Different Armies featuring heavy pieces that move forward slowly.
- Juggernaut Chess. Roll a die each turn to determine the move of the all-capturing Juggernaut.
- Ki Shogi. Variant of Shogi played without a board, and pieces are cubes.
- Kibitzing Vox Populi Chess variant. Rules for turning kibitzing into a game unto itself.
- King's Run. An entry for the 32-turn contest that is based on Logan's Run.
- The Knightliest Black Hole. Knighted pieces on a constantly diminishing board.
- Knightmare Chess. The American version of Tempete sur l'Echiquier.
- Knot Chess. Board in shape of geometric knot.
- LancerChess. a basic Western chess game, featuring Lancers in place of knights.
- Liars Chess. You may lie about the move you have made.
- Lichen Chess. Pieces are modular, and each piece may contain fragments belonging to both players.
- Logis 3D. 3d-chess variant by R. Planesi. (Link.).
- Mad Elephant Chess. Pawns can be turned into Elephants; Elephants can promote to Mad Elephants, and Mad Elephants can trample lines of pieces.
- Maelstrom. All 64 squares of 8 by 8 board are initially filled with pieces.
- Magichess . Chess variant that uses ideas from Magic: the Gathering card game.
- Make-A-Rule Chess. Play chess and modify its rules concurrently. Chess with Nomic.
- Makruk experiences. Tim Krabbe's WWW page on his experiences with Makruk.
- Many Rules in One Game. List chess and variants.
- Many Worlds Chess. Large variant, inspired by the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.
- The Marine Game. Small wargame, simulating a sea battle.
- Mark Davis's Chess Designs. With a round chess board.
- Mastery: A Game of Skill for Two Players . A Game of Skill for Two Players.
- Mecklenbeck chess. Pawns can promote on the sixth row.
- MetamorphaChess . Pieces represented by dice change to another type after having moved.
- Metamorphin' Assimilation Chess. A hybrid of Metamorph Chess and Assimilation Chess.
- Metamorphin' Fusion Chess. A hybrid of Metamorph Chess and Fusion Chess.
- Missoum Perspective Chess. Missing description
- Moebius Chess. The board is a Moebius ring.
- Monster Chess. One player has only a king and four pawns, but makes double moves.
- More on Dragonchess. Missing description
- Morley's Chess. Boards with enlarged sides.
- Multi-chess. Chess variants for three or four players.
- Multichess. Four player chess variant.
- Multiplayer Chess Rules. A discussion of rules issues for multiple player chess games.
- Mutant Chess: pieces mutate during the game. . Pieces mutate during the game.
- Mysterious chess. Use cards to place your pieces on the board.
- N by N chess games. Mathematician Missoum has a chess variant on an N by N board for many numbers N.
- Narrassetch (70 and 91 hex versions). Hexagonal chess game playable with ordinary chess set.
- Nomic Chess. Combination of Peter Suber's Nomic with Ralph Betza's Chess For Any Number of Players.
- Nuclear Pawns Chess. Every time you move a pawn, there is a 1/10 chance of it exploding and destroying itself and all adjacent pieces.
- The Nutty Knights. A team for Chess with Different Armies based around the moves of the Knight.
- O/R Chess - Overloader/Restorer chess. A cochess variant.
- Once More, with Deans. Subvariants of River-with-university-and-cathedral series with extra piece type.
- One dimensional Chess Variants. A page detailing some one dimensional chess variants.
- Pacifist Chess. Missing description
- Partner Chess . Commercial two and four-player variant on smaller cross-shaped board.
- Passed Pawns, Scorpions and Dragon. More Falcon Chess Variants.
- Perfect Chess. On 8 by 8 board with combination pieces.
- PI. Commercial multiplayer chess variant for 2 - 12 players.
- Pi. Commercial multiplayer chess variant, obtained by putting multiple curved and straight boards together.
- Piazza San Marco Chess. On random moments, the middle of the board gets flooded, meaning that pieces can get out only by using
- The Pizza Kings. An experimental army for Chess with Different Armies, with lots of calories.
- Playing Chess Against Its Mirror Image. Playing against its mirror image: game is always a draw.
- Pocket knight. Each player has a knight that he can drop during the game. (Recognized!)
- Poison Chess. Harpies can poison pieces which can be healed by doctors. On 8 by 8 board.
- Potential Chess. Pieces start out as any piece and become a particular piece depending on how they move,.
- Promotions & Demotions. Every turn, the piece that has moved promotes or demotes to another piece.
- Proteus: A Chess Army that Changes at your Command! . Variant played with 8 dice per side, each side of which has a different Chess piece printed on it.
- Recognized Chess Variant: Avalanche Chess. This game is a Recognized Chess Variant.
- Refreshing Bubble Fizz Chess. When a piece moves, he can create a bubble. Pieces in bubbles cannot move for three turns, but may make two non-capturing moves.
- The Remarkable Rookies. A team for Chess with Different Armies with Rook-like pieces.
- RPGchess: Combines chess with Role Playing Game rules . Combines chess with Role Playing Game rules.
- Rules of Chess (part 1). Missing description
- Rules of Chess (part 2). Missing description
- Rules of Chess (part 3). Missing description
- Rules of Chess (part 4). Missing description
- Rules of Chess (part 5). Missing description
- Rules of Chess (part 6). Missing description
- Rules of Chess (part 7). Missing description
- Schachen - Chess me. Commercial chess variant with board and pieces replaced by cards.
- Schizochess. Halves of the chessboards get swapped every five moves.
- School Chess. Before movement of a figure, the player speaks the name of city on the letter, on which the name of a moved piece begins.
- Scrabble Battle Chess. Complicated game that uses a scrabble set, dice, playing cards with magic spells, pieces that move queenlike.
- The Seeping Switchers. An army for Chess with Different Armies based on pieces that change color when they move.
- Sequence of Fibonacci and Lucas Chess Design Games. Variants based on Fibonacci numbers.
- Sequence Of M X N Chess Games. A chess variant for boards of size M by N, for about all pairs of positive integers M, N.
- Sjah. Three or four player chess variants.
- Some Chess and Xiangqi Variants. Variants from the Shakki-77 group.
- Spider Web Spiral Chess. Board in shape of spider web.
- Springboard. Missing description
- Steeple Chess . Crossover between race game and chess.
- Steffan O' Sullivan's Three-players Chess. Three player chess variant on a board with 58 squares.
- Stepping-stones of Chess. A Book by Shaye-Alexander Ellis Nicholls of Merridonia.
- Steps Chess. Board looking like steps of many stairs.
- Stevenson's Four-Player Chess. A game for two 2-player teams on a regular Chess board with the object of capturing all opposing pieces.
- Subversion / Conversion. Pieces can be bribed to switch sides.
- Superchess and Monarch. Booklet in English and Dutch and book in Dutch about large chess variants with fantasy pieces.
- Surprise Chess. Speed chess combined with an umpire calling out random rule changes.
- Sveschky. 16 identical pieces per player whose moves are determined by a die.
- Symmetrical Chess Collection. Collection of several large symmetric chess variants with only line pieces.
- Tag Chess. A two player per side team game where each player moves for half the board.
- Tape Chess and other almost one-dimensional chess variants. Tape Chess and other almost one-dimensional chess variants.
- Taxi Chess. Pay for moves: long moves are expensive.
- Tempete sur l'Echiquier. Pack of cards that change chess rules when played. French original version of Knightmare Chess. Lots of fun.
- Tempete sur l'Echiquier (PBM). Play by mail rules.
- Thinktank Chess. Frank Maus' game where most pieces move differently when capturing from how they move without capturing.
- Thoughts on large numbers of players in one chess game. Missing description
- Three Dimensional 8x8xN Chess Game. Three dimensional chess variant.
- Three Dimensional Circular Perspective Chess. Pieces must travel through a central point to get to the opponent's side of the board.
- Tile Chess . Commercial chess variant, published by Steve Jackson Games.
- Tilting the Balance. Players can set off an atomic bomb.
- Tokar's Arcana . Chess-variant like game with different armies. Commercial game.
- Torus and Klein Bottle Games . Missing description
- Triangular Chess. Missing description
- TriChess . is a hexogonal, three player variant, created and distributed by PrimeChess Oy.
- Trigon Chess . Three-player chess and checkers on various shaped boards.
- Turncoat Chess. After every move, dice are rolled to determine a square, which if occupied, the piece on changes side.
- Turnstyle. Four player chess variant using a normal chess set.
- Twelve Mutation Chess. Variant that uses 12 mutators that may be activated or deactivated during the game.
- Two Pronged Chess. 2 "simultaneous" moves per turn with separate pieces.
- Two-Prong Chess. Each player makes "simultaneous" moves with 2 different pieces.
- Unidirectional arrays on standard boards. Both players in the same direction, as Viking Chess, but on boards of correspondiyng face-to-face variants.
- Unirexal Chess. Only white has a king.
- Unreliable Delivery Chess. Pieces may get delayed before they arrive at their destinations.
- Vegas Fun Chess. Special chess dice determine what piece to move.
- Vortex Chess. Ortho-chess with the inclusion of a new piece: the Portal.
- Vox Populi Chess variant. A crowd plays itself at a game with only one winner.
- Wall Chess. Orthochess with additional untakable wall pieces.
- Wand Chess. Pieces have a magic wand, that gives random outcomes.
- Way of the Knight. Pieces with experience levels: a `role playing variant'.
- Webball. Board that can be visualized as globe shaped spider web, based on dodecahedron.
- World War Chess . Commercial variant with pieces more suited to a war game.
- Year of the Pig Variants. Subvariants extending the forward moves in assorted previous variants old and new.
- Zeitgeist . Variant with simultaneous movement.
- ZM "Machiavellian" Quadchess. Modernization of Chaturanga for four players.