You are on the backup site for Any posts, moves, or other changes you make here will not be permanent, because the pages and database from the main site will be backed up here every midnight EST. Additionally, things may not be working right, because this site is also a testbed for newer system software. So, if you are not here to test, develop, or merely read this site, you may want to change .org to .com in the navigation bar and go to the main site.

The Chess Variant Pages

[ Help | Earliest Comments | Latest Comments ]
[ List All Subjects of Discussion | Create New Subject of Discussion ]
[ List Earliest Comments Only For Pages | Games | Rated Pages | Rated Games | Subjects of Discussion ]

Single Comment

Ferz. Moves one diagonally.[All Comments] [Add Comment or Rating]
Flowerman wrote on 2010-02-06 UTC
It's interesting... I'm russian, in Russian queen is really called 'ferz', when we talk about games we tells 'I moved ferz', but sometimes we tells 'queen', mainly when translate foreign films and computer games with chess and always, when draw chessmen as people, draw ferz as woman... Looks like, english mens' assertion what the strongest piece, wich stays close to king, must be king's wife is infectious :). Nevermind, i am interested: how modern queen is called in languages of the Near and Middle east? Queen or ferz? Does someone know it?